The work to build the Padma bridge would start within a year, communications minister Obaidul Quader said Saturday. “The fog on the way to implement the project will go away. The work to implement the project is on, only formalities are left. It will begin within a year,” Quader told reporters while visiting a site of the project at Mawa in the morning.
It is his first visit to the site after he took oath as the communications minister earlier this month.
Quick building of the bridge became uncertain when the World Bank had suspended funds promised for the longest bridge following allegations of corruption in river dredging, appointment of consultants and selection of pre-qualified contractors on the project. The government has denied the allegations.
Earlier this month, the prime minister had said the bridge would be constructed under Public Private Partnership (PPP) project. The communications minister on Dec 11 said the same thing.
“The government’s top priority is the Padma bridge project. I have been working [to start the project] with people concerned since I took charge of the ministry. The bridge will be there,” the minister said.
In response to a newspaper report that there is no improvement in the project, Quader said, “Padma bridge is not a matter of word only…the proof is in the project site.”