The Malaysian government will submit a proposal on Monday on building the Padma bridge, Communications Minister Obaidul Quader said on Sunday.
“A six-member Malaysian delegation is coming. They will submit a specific proposal at the Setu Bhaban (Monday),” Quader, also the Railway Minister, told reporters after a meeting at the Rail Bhaban.
The World Bank had suspended fund for the $ 2.9 billion project to build the bridge in September last year alleging corruption in the project. It had pledged $ 1.2 billion. The funds pledged by the other donors had also been suspended.
Bangladesh had signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Malaysia on Apr 10 to build the bridge. After the signing, Quader had said Malaysia would submit a proposal by the end of May.
The minister, however, had said on May 20 that the bridge would be built with Bangladesh’s own fund during the current Awami League government’s tenure if overseas funding was not available.
Asked whether Malaysia was going to be the financer of the project, he had said, “There is no certainty. A contract will be signed only after the two countries agree on the matter.”
Leave a Reply