Two shops were gutted by fire on Friday evening at Mirkadim Furniture Market here, causing a loss of Tk 15 lakh.
The incident happened at about 5.45pm on Friday at a market adjacent to Mirkadim Pourasava.
Goods worth Tk 8 lakh of Jewel Matbar Furniture and Quilt Shop and goods worth Tk 7 lakh of Abul Kalam Furniture burnt into ashes.
Beds, sofa sets, dressing tables, wardrobes and quilts of both the shops were completely gutted by fire.
Receiving information, the fire-fighters went to the spot and brought the fire under control at about 6.30pm after 45 minutes of efforts. As a result, the adjacent shops were saved from fire.
Md Shahidul Islam of Sadar Police Station said they were yet to ascertain the real causes of fire. However, he said the fire might have originated from electric short-circuit.