PINAK 6 CAPSIZE
The survivors have all stated that the launch capsized because of passenger overload
The seven-member probe committee, formed to look into the capsize of Pinak 6, failed to meet yesterday’s deadline for submitting its report.
Committee chief Nur-ur-Rahman, also a joint secretary of the Shipping Ministry, said: “We have interviewed 13 out of the 25 witnesses. In order to properly finish our investigation into the capsize of Pinak 6, we need more time. Since all the members of the committee have agreed to the need for more time, we will now apply for a seven to 10 days’ extention.”
He also said: “The survivors have all stated that the launch capsized because of passenger overload.”
Nur said they would try to include the reasons behind the deadly capsize, point out the glitches in management and equipment, and also their recommendations.
Meanwhile, a local court yesterday granted four days’ remand to Pinak 6 owner Abu Bakkar Siddque and his son Omar Faruq Limon. When this report was being filed, police were making preparations to take the duo into the custody of the Louhajang police station.
On August 4, launch ML Pinak 6 capsized in Padma River near the Mawa terminal with around 300 passengers on board.
So far, dead bodies of 48 passengers have been recovered and 62 people are still missing, says official data. More than a hundred people swam ashore to safety.
Jahangir Hossain Bhuiyan, BIWTA inspector at Mawa terminal, filed a case soon after the accident accusing six people including Siddique and Limon.