An elderly woman was burned to death and 12 others were injured as a fire broke out at Nitira village in Tongibari upazila on Friday noon.
The deceased was identified as Raju Begum, 90, a resident of the village, a news agency said.
Police said the fire originated at the house of Rahim Master from an electrical short circuit around 1pm.
The fire engulfed five adjacent houses as a gas cylinder blasted following the fire incident.
Rahim’s mother Raju Begum was bruned alive as she was asleep inside the house.
The fire also damaged valuables at the houses.
Meanwhile, 12 people suffered injuries while extinguishing the fire.
Abdul Malek, officer-in-charge of Tongibari Police Station, confirmed the incident.