At least 10 furniture shops were burnt in a fire at Bhaber Char Hospital Road at Gazaria upazila here on Friday night.
Affected shop owners said, the fire originated from an electric short circuit at one Sharif’s shop at 9:15pm, and soon it spread to nine other shops.
On information, two units of fire fighters from Daudkandi Fire Station rushed to the spot and managed to douse the flame at 11:30pm, said Inspector of Daudkandi Fire Station Reza Rabbi.
The loss in the fire was estimated at about Tk 30 lakh.
Meanwhile, the affected shop owners said, a fire service and civil defence station was set up at Bhaber Char area but the station is yet to be inaugurated.
They, however, demanded immediate operation of the fire station.