First brother, now sister dies from burns sustained in mosquito coil fire

The siblings’ mother is still undergoing treatment for critical burn injuries
A day after the death of her brother, a four-year-old has died from burns she sustained in a fire, believed to have been caused by a lit mosquito repellent coil.

The fire was reported around 9pm on Monday from the third-floor of a building at a village in Kukutia union under Sreenagar upazila, Munshiganj, according to fire service.

Four-year-old Ayesha Akhter passed away around 8pm on Tuesday while undergoing treatment at the intensive care unit of Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery (SHNIBPS) in Dhaka, confirmed Imran Hossain, former sports affairs secretary of Kukutia Union Juba League.

Her mother Khadija Akhter Mim, 28, who also sustained critical injuries, is still being treated at the same hospital, Hossain added.

On Monday, locals called the fire service after noticing smoke coming out from the flat and knocked down the door to rescue the three, said police.

They were rushed to the state-run hospital in Sreenagar upazila town, where doctors declared two-year-old Ayas Mridha dead before referring his mother and sister to SHNIBPS in Dhaka.

“A lit mosquito repellent coil is believed to have caused the fire. An investigation is underway,” said Sreepur police OC Md Kamruzzaman, adding that no one has lodged a complaint yet.


Leave a Reply