Woman loses battle for life after husband and children die from burn injuries

A cooking gas cylinder leak is believed have caused the December 2 fire at their Munshiganj home
Days after her husband and two children died, a woman succumbed to the serious burn injuries she had suffered in a fire incident at a flat in Munshiganj.

Twenty-eight-year-old Shanta Begum lost her battle for life in the early hours of Thursday at Dhaka’s Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.

She was being treated with 48% burns at the hospital for the past seven days, said Inspector Bacchu Mia of the hospital’s police outpost.

Early on December 2, flames erupted at the second-floor flat in Munshiganj’s Char Muktarpur.

Shanta, her husband Kawser Khan and their two children — 6-year-old son Yasin Khan and 3-year-old daughter Fatema Norah Khanam — were burnt while sleeping.

A cooking gas cylinder leak is suspected to be behind the incident, firefighters said at the time.

The family was rushed to a Munshiganj hospital and then transferred to the burn institute, where the children died the same day.

Thirty-six-year-old Kawser Khan succumbed to his 60% burn injuries on December 4.

dhakatribune

Leave a Reply