Quader hints to quit following failure
The Minister for Comunication has expressed hope that the construction of the much-hyped Padma bridge would start by the next February, reports bdnews24.com.
Obaidul Quader also said that he would act like a ‘responsible’ politican if he failed to accomplish the task.
“I am speaking even though I am aware of the consequences. I will do what a political leader does if I fail in my duty,” he told the media on Sunday.
The press briefing was organised at the Ministry of Communication on Sunday to inform reporters about the report submitted by a committee headed by Roads and Highways Department Additional Chief Engineer Mohammad Ali that probed the recent gunfight at the Sarak Bhaban.
The construction work of the bridge was halted after the World Bank suspended its pledged $1.2-billion fund for the $2.9-billion Padma bridge project in October last year alleging corruption.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina gave Quader charge of the Ministry of Communication after allegations were raised against then Communciation Minister Syed Abul Hossain. After the suspension of the WB funds, the Malaysian government had expressed its interest in the construction of the bridge. The government in April signed a landmark agreement with Malaysia in this regard.
It recently submitted an investment proposal for infrastructure-related projects in Bangladesh.
The global lender submitted a report to the Finance Minister on the alleged corruption in the Padma bridge project. Basing on that, the Anti-Corruption Commission later launched an investigation into alleged irregularities in appointing consultant for the project.
AMA Muhith on Saturday rubbished the World Bank claims of corruption saying the evidence provided by the lender meant nothing to him. “It’s worth nothing,” he said, “it’s nothing, it’s nothing.”
Asked about his reaction on the Muhith’s remark, Quader said, “I will not go into any debate on what the Finance Minister has said. I will make statements after hearing from him directly.”
He said: “Our doors are always open for the World Bank. It is the Finance Ministry’s responsibility to resolve the ongoing crisis surrounding it. We cannot shut the doors for them (WB) even if we can manage alternate funding.”
” Whatever we wil do, we wil do after consulting with the World Bank,” he addeed.